Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 09:31:14AM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Seth Arnold wrote:
>
> > > Maybe some upgrades should just be labelled "reboot recommended"?
> > It will be a sad day when this happens. :( I think it is a strong
> > selling point when I tell my MS friends, tired of rebooting after
> > installing a new web browser, that one can run a Debian system for years
> > without rebooting -- unless one wants a new kernel.

That's a very good point.  I'd not want to force that.  Yet the
alternative is the package manager needs to know (or discover) what
will need restarts.  What does the package manager know of our ibm db2
installation (installed from rpm -> deb with alien)?  What
about our non-debian webservers or other long running processes
not installed from debs?  This cannot possibly be the
responsibility of the lib* maintainers.  I'm not sure it's
possible without sysadmin intervention; some of our daemons
don't even have init scripts.

Most libc upgrades require no particular attention.  This one was
different.  It does need some sort of flag.