Re: RFC: implementation of package pools

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Why are you suddenly using a different email address for me?

I'm not. Using netscape for mail, it must've done it. :?

> Of course, and in fact that has already been done.

Oh sorry. Where is that?

> > programming? You really have no trust in CS grad. students ;)
>
> Of course not, I'm one myself and I see the peopel around me.

Okay, agreed :)

> > Writing a distributed fs isn't that different for a single machine,
> > since when you run it on a single machine it should give decent
> > performance.
>
> Performance is really a minor thing in a fs design..

Is it? Performance is an issue when you consider
  * less disk space wasted
  * scalability (to larger & parallel disk setups)
  * caching, file i/o overhead for io intensive apps

Of course there are other major design goals such as reliability
and security.

Thanks,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural