Re: Proposed: task-secure-system package

Hi,

Quoting Russell Coker (russell@coker.com.au):
> If you have web access.  Please don't forget that there are huge numbers
> of machines behind various firewalls, in locations without phone lines,
> etc.
true. I tend to forget about that ;)

> may remove the need for this).  People who have packages on hold currently
> won't know that the new version fixes a root exploit.
If you're security-aware enough to run a task-secure-system, are you then
not aware enough to keep track of bugs and upgrades ? :)
I do get your point, above was not meant to be flame-bait;)

> >permissions, disallow remote-root ssh logins etc.).
> I disagree.  I think that in the way machines get used in large networks
> allowing remote root logins via RSA key is good.
disagree ;) It's offtopic here i guess, but i think there's never a need to
remote-login as root. There's always the 'operator' account (in case of
nis), or some other local account (non-nis), and in the worst-case scenario
of no-user-accounts-working-anymore there's the console.

> >I would like to work on stuff like this, but probably can't find the time
> >to do this by myself ;)
> OK.  Maybe this is something we can discuss at the next debian-devel-nl
> meeting or linux-prog-nl meeting.
Let's do that ;) - but only if we can go to that icecream-bar thing again!

Greets,
	Robert

--
|      rvdm@cistron.nl - Cistron Internet Services - www.cistron.nl        |
|          php3/c/perl/html/c++/sed/awk/linux/sql/cgi/security             |