Re: Disk File's

In Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:39:22 -0700 Erik <journey@jps.net> cum veritate scripsit :

> > manually it should be. the install kernel has loopback so it should work.
> Yea, it would probably be difficult though, and anyone wanting to install it
> to a file, is probably just wanting to try it out, and doesn't know that
> much about linux yet.

It's not particularly difficult. It can be done by dd-ing, mke2fs, and mounting the file,
and extracting base2_2.tgz there. It can be automated, and all of this can be
done using the rescue disk, and the shell.

The hard part is booting the kernel. I can't think up on a way of booting a kernel on
a loopback device.

Assuming that the person will be trying to boot linux from Windows,
there is no way I could find that I can read the contents of the ext2fs image file
located in VFAT, let alone boot vmlinuz inside it. -- or does loadlin do it?

I was under the impression that "grub" could do it, but can't find a mention
of it anywhere... maybe it was a wishlist.

regards,
	junichi

--
University: ti0113@mail4.doshisha.ac.jp    Netfort: dancer@netfort.gr.jp