suggestion: netnews server for Debian mailing lists

Would it be feasible to establish a NNTP server to carry the last week
or so of traffic on the Debian mailing lists? There could be a
separate newsgroup for each list; they could possibly be read
only. This would make it a lot easier for people who are not
subscribed to the lists, for whatever reason, to follow them; the web
archive is sometimes several days out of date. This might actually
decrease network resource utilization, as people would only fetch the
posts they wanted to read, rather than subscribing for all the traffic
on a list but only reading a fraction of it.

Note that I am not suggesting establishing new newsgroups in the
public USENET hierarchy, just running a mail->news gateway on one of
the Debian network hosts. My apologies if this has been discussed
before, or is a bad idea for some reason.