multimedia and normalizers (was: normalizers)

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 06:55:23PM +0200, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
>

> > Does anybody know if any of these (loosly related) apps are being
> > packaged?
> >

> > normalize-0.3.4: Wave File Volume Normalizer
> >
> >   Author : Chris Vaill <cvaill@cs.columbia.edu>
> >   License: GPL v2.
> >
> >     Normalize is an overly complicated tool for adjusting the volume of
> >     wave files to a standard volume level.  This is useful for things
> >     like creating mp3 mixes, where different recording levels on
> >     different albums can cause the volume to vary greatly from song to
> >     song.
>
> Does this do anything that sox doesn't do?  I'm just curious, not necessarily
> saying that it shouldn't be packaged.

I don't know. The only thing I found about sox and normalization is
this:

       .dat      Text Data files
                 These  files contain a textual representation of
                 the sample data.   There  is  one  line  at  the
                 beginning that contains the sample rate.  Subse­
                 quent lines contain two numeric data items:  the
                 time  since  the beginning of the sample and the
                 sample value.  Values are normalized so that the
                 maximum  and  minimum  are 1.00 and -1.00.  This
                 file format can be used to create data files for
                 external programs such as FFT analyzers or graph
                 routines.  SoX can also convert a file  in  this
                 format  back into one of the other file formats.

I might not have looked for info in the _obvious_ place. Could you
enlighten me, please? How would one go about mangling the .dat file
before converting it back to a wav? I might have got it totally wrong,
but the normalization process using sox would look something like this:

Foreach tune

1. sox: generate .dat file
2. ???: mangle the text file
3. sox: convert .dat to .wav

How long time would something like this take? Do you have any experience
of doing it (you are willing share with the rest of us)?

Cheers,
Cristian

--
Be careful, life will kill you.