Re: Start of portmap

On 00-10-13 Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 09:54:07PM +0200, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > we have now a seperate package of portmap in woody. Does this mean that
> > this package will not be installed and started by default? I ask about
> > this because I consider portmap as a security issue, if it's running and
> > not used. So could somebody please explain to me how we handle this in
> > woody?

> It depends what is the `default'; if it has low priority and nothing
> important depends on it, then I guess it won't be getting installed.

Well, it has a priority of standard, which looks for me like it will be
installed on default installations, which includes a lot of installation
where it's not needed. And if then get's standard, this creates a
security hole which is absolutely not needed. So from a security
standpoint I would prefer that portmap get's only installed when a
package really depends on it and so I'm not sure if the current priority
is a good choice.

Ciao
     Christian
--
          Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Team Member