Re: apts -> /usr/ports script

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 05:54:18AM +0200, Rene K. Mueller wrote:

> I'm a *BSD user, and just installed debian-2.2 and after I realized
> it was a rather cryptic to find packages I did a small perl-script
> called 'debports' which converts the list of apts into /usr/ports/*
> directory hierachy with Makefile and REAMDE for each package alike
> *BSD does it, e.g.
> 	cd /usr/ports/web/apache-perl
> 	make install
>
> The source of the script you find at
> 	http://the-labs.com/Linux/debports

This is an interesting idea, but unless things have changed a lot since I
last looked at the *BSD ports system, your Makefiles give quite different
semantics.  Something like this:

all::
	# Retrieve source, compile, and build a .deb
	apt-get source -b $p

install::
	# Install the .deb
	dpkg -i ../$p_*.deb

clean::
	rm -rf ../$p_*.deb $p-*

Would give something closer to the usual ports behavior (though still
necessarily different).

It might make more sense to put the standard rules in a /usr/ports/Ports.mk or
some such, and have the subdirectory makefiles include that, than to write
thousands of nearly identical makefiles.

Also note that your 'upgrade' target will not work, as 'apt-get upgrade' does
not take additional arguments.  Its purpose is to upgrade all of the packages
currently installed on the system.  If you want to upgrade to the latest
version of the package, apt-get install <package> will do that, given an
up-to-date package list (from apt-get update).

--
 - mdz