Reply from UW regarding imap license

[If you reply on debian-legal, please cc me as I'm not subscribed to that
list.]

I got a reply today from UW to some questions I'd asked.

I asked Lori of UW about the new license they're working on.  This was the
answer :(

> Our office of technology transfer is working on the new license. I don't
> know the specifics of how it will read. Stay tuned.

I also asked if distribution in the form of patches was allowed.  She
replied:

> Patches are fine.

[...]

> Like I said, patches are fine. And what we mean by patches are diff files
> that are applied to source files in our distribution. They are usually
> meant to accomplish bug fixes, minor enhancements, or adaptation to new
> operating systems.

So it would seem if the new license is too long in coming/doesn't meet our
specs, an imap-src package (a la qmail-src) would be ok for
non-free.  Binary .debs would seem to be out altogether.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>