Re: Which task package installs gpm?

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 12:44:40AM -0700, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
 [snip]
 >  For that configuration, they should be left with an "Everything Just
 >  Works" X Login; they should log in to HelixCode GNOME (and/or KDE C++
 >  only land), and have a few toys to goof with.  Mozilla or Nautilus
 >  should be featured, and it ought to have plenty for them to read,
 >  starting with an overview of what there is to read and why they
 >  should read it.  Tell them right away what is expected of them to
 >  become proficient, and how long that will take at what rate of
 >  reading.  Teach them right off the bat how to find out how to do
 >  something.  Perhaps offer to subscribe them to a mailing list?  Who
 >  will monitor that list?  That's quite a job; and perhaps a boring
 >  one.
 >
 >  The menus should all work.  The WM ought to be well configured.  It
 >  should look nice and be immediately useful.  I want to click an icon
 >  and have XEmacs fired up, complete with `gnuserv', and if I click
 >  that icon again, I want it to reuse the same XEmacs process.  When it
 >  starts the first time, it ought to create the ~/.xemacs/ directory,
 >  and offer to become `viper' if they know what that is; recommending
 >  that they not use that mode if they are not already `vi' users.  When
 >  I click a "mailto" URL in Mozilla-lite, I want it to open an XEmacs
 >  `message-mode' buffer in a new frame.
 >
 >  Of course, other editors should be offered as well... with their
 >  "full features" ;-) ready to use.  Debian is still very much a kit
 >  right now.  It's sure not the one-button wonder.

 When you finish it, let us know. (I'm hoping you do)

 >  It would be good to check and see how powerful and loaded the machine
 >  is, and not start too much going at once if it's not that powerful.
 >  But if it can deal with it, we ought to, by default, start up
 >  `gkrellm', `xmms', and run a `gmix' to set some reasonable mixer
 >  defaults alsa.  There ought to be an *.ogg in the XMMS when it's
 >  first time launched with a message from us.  (Perhaps singing "(Join
 >  us now and) Free the Software" as a chorus?  I believe we have a few
 >  musicians amoung our ranks.)

 Though this part seems a bit weird.  If I want this stuff to run,
 then I want it to run!  I don't want the computer telling me it's
 not good enough to run.  That's why I quit using Windows, the damn
 computer allways thinks it's smarter than me, and I have to pull
 teeth to make it do what I want it to do. (that, and other things
 too numerous to mention)