Re: kernel-image and epoch

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 12:46:49PM -0700, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > perhaps kernel-package should ship with a default config that creates
> > a high epoch so user packages always override debian kernels.
>
> The big question for me is why did we create this mess. Couldn't we get
> around by creating images without epochs?

Until Herbert Xu decides to break things once again by using epochs the
one way policy says not to use them.  Epochs are NOT FOR PRE VERSIONS.
Apparently, some people can't read.  The fact that certain module packages
break when given an epoch in a kernel version is irrelivant, or so it
would seem.  But when it's your package you're free to do whatever you
want with it, no matter how central the package is to the project or how
dellusional you happen to be.

I've got 2.2.17 on hold to prevent the epoch from screwing with my modules
packages since the last time I tried to use an epoch in a kernel version
the extra modules didn't build.  *shrug*

At least two people have insisted there's no problem already pointing out
that kernel packages are temporary by nature and therefore using epochs is
a good solution for pre-versioning.  I disagree and feel there are better
ways to do it.  Of course that's just my opinion - I could be wrong.

<Overfiend> Culus: wanna suspend me for it? :)
<Culus> Overfiend:  Go maliciously crack a few severs and we'll talk
<Overfiend> Culus: damn, it has to be malicious?
<Culus> Overfiend:  Sadly, yes