Re: avifile

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 07:20:38PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > >    The DLLs themself are freeware - you can easily get them from lots of
> > >   other places. Their licenses typically do not say anything explicitly
> > >   about this way of using them. I believe there's nothing wrong in it.
>
> Obviously we can't distribute the DLLs.  Well, maybe not obviously, but
> I think it would be a very bad idea.

I agree.

It's doubtful their license would allow it, even; I bet Microsoft would
better like them dead and buried than to be distributed in a Linux
distribution... :)

> > >    This project includes GSM 6.1 audio decoder, which is taken from XAnim.
> > >   XAnim is licensed as 'free for non-commercial use' - not compatible with
> > >   (L)GPL. That part needs to be rewritten to resolve this issue.
>
> Is this a plugin?  Can you make it one?  If so, you could put this
> plugin in non-free, and avifile in contrib.

That's not organized as plugins... I haven't investigated how essential that
stuff is (i.e. is there another audio decoder).

> > > The last paragraph clearly makes it impossible for us to legally distribute
> > > avifile, it's like the old KDE/QT1 mess. Does anyone volunteer for rewriting
> > > this? :)
>
> No, this is different.  Basically, the author of avifile is responsible
> for its licence - he needs to include an explicit clause allowing
> avifile to link to GSM, then the result will be legally distributable.
> But non-free.

Then I wouldn't want to package it, though :)