Re: [ot] <rant>grub is great!</rant>

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 03:57:34PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> > The problem is that /vmlinuz is a link to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17 and
> > /boot is a separate partition.  So grub whould have to parse /etc/fstab
> > which it is not able to.  That's why a separate /boot partition is
> > sick when using grub - at least for the current grub.  The developers
> > seem to be very engaged ...
>
> this might be a good reason to put that damned link in /boot (as redhat
> does). personally i have not any link like this. i prefer to compile and
> install kernel by hand.

FWIW, I install kernels by hand, too, but I put System.map (unversioned) and
vmlinuz-x.y.z in /boot, and make /boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-x.y.z symlink
every time, and GRUB uses that. The root directory is clean (no filthy^W
files :), the previous kernels are preserved, and it's easier for me to make
the symlink than it is to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst.