Re: kernel-image and epoch

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 10:42:59PM +1200, Michael Beattie wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 01:38:50AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 11:33:13AM -0700, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > > Could anyone please tell me why the kernel-image package's got an epoch?
> > > this breaks locally compiled (via kernel-package) kernel images. No matter
> > > what naming you have used there it is overwritten by the epoch.
> >
> > make-kpkg --revision=3:hostname.2.2.0 kernel_image
>
> Bzzzzzzzt. my understanding of the revision whatsit, is just for the debian
> revision. i.e., above ==  2.2.17-3:hostname.2.2.0  which dpkg-deb borks on.
> (epoch is not a number (epoch == "2.2.17-3"))

hmm really?  are you sure about that ;-)

from /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz:

===start quote===
Unfortunately, this fails if the upstream maintainer uses epochs to
correct a version mis numbering ;-(. The good news is that you can add
your own epoch to your customized image, ugly though that may
be. (--revision 1:custom.Y; the kernel image file shall remain
kernel-image-X.X.XX-custom.Y.deb, but dpkg shall know that it should
not replace that with a standard kernel with an epoch. Hopefully, we
shall never see an epoch greater than 1 on a standard kernel, but who
knows. Choose your epoch, if you must use it, wisely. I fear, though,
that with the introduction of epochs in kernel image versions shame
has entered the garden of eden, and we must forever use epochs to
guard against forced upgrades.

So, try using an epoch for your custom packages:
  make-kpkg clean
  $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=3:custom.1.0 kernel_image
      (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
      sudo are examples that come to mind).
===end quote===

[eb@socrates eb]$ dpkg -s kernel-image-2.2.17
Package: kernel-image-2.2.17
[...]

i don't seem to be having any problems with this and have been doing
it for quite some time now without apt replacing my kernels.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/