Re: [ot] <rant>grub is great!</rant>

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Well, to be absolutely fair, GRUB didn't look that good about a year (and a
> half?) ago, before Gordon Matzigkeit and OKUJI Yoshinori started to work on it.
> For example, there was no system command to install it, you had to install it
> manually on a boot disk. Now there is the stand alone grub binary, which can
> be used. Also, Yoshinori fixed a zillion of bugs and added new features.
While I also think that grub is a fine thing I recommend not to use
/boot as a separate partition (as it is suggested in some documents).
I did so (following the suggestions) and was falling into trouble
with some strange "File not found" messages (See Bug #71661).  While
I was able to solve the problem using the really strange path
  /boot/boot/grub
I discovered, that I have to use the kernel image in /boot which
disables me to use the symlink /vmlinuz which is managed in the
kernel-image Debian packages.  This is sick because I have to manage
a symlink in /boot for mynew kernels manually.

This should be noted somewhere.
Well, grub is beta - no complain, just a hint ... :).

Kind regards

         Andreas.