Re: modprobe: Can't locate module foo

Previously Thomas E. Vaughan wrote:
> Shaul Karl informed me that I should just turn off net-pf-10 because it has
> to do with IPv6 (which I don't use).  That's one down.

Sounds correct.

> My machine has an es1371 sound card, and my /etc/modules file contains only
> one entry, a line with only the string "es1371".  Now I use /dev/dsp1 (in
> addition to /dev/dsp) so that I can avoid conflict with KDE's aRts, or,
> when I'm running GNOME, so that I can avoid using esd, which works well for
> system sounds but causes noise when I connect to it with xmms.  So maybe
> that accounts for the system requests for sound-slot-1 (instead of
> sound-slot-0).  Still it is a mystery to me.

Sounds like your es1371 driver isn't configure correctly, you probably
need to tell it to register multiple dsps. At least that is needed for
the maestro2 driver.

> The modutils maintainer has in /etc/modules.conf
>
>     alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>     alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
>
> Perhaps this is not generally right?

Doesn't

> Finally, there is char-major-145.  No mention of it anywhere under
> /usr/src/linux.

>From Documentation/devices.txt from my kernel source:

145 char        SAM9407-based soundcard
                  0 = /dev/sam0_mixer
etc.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |