Re: woody Debian Installer plans

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 10:39:11AM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> After a reboot you will be in your native environent, i guess a postinst
> or something will have to be run in the native environment to do some
> fine tuning.

I am not sure if this works well with the Hurd. Doesn't it have some
extensions to the Linux filesystem model? I don't think a Linux install
can support it in that case.

> As far as bootloaders goes, i dont think it will be a problem using
> different bootloaders, every different architecture has a different one
> for initial booting anyway. But i realise grub will have to be installed
> for the hurd, i remember talk some time ago about using it for linux,
> cant remember what happened about it.

If you ask me, let's make that a goal for the woody installer. We should
support Grub and make it the default but have lilo in there as fallback
in case grub fails.

We will also need good testing before release then because I am not sure
grub supports all the hardware that lilo supports yet (and lilo has by
far more options - which will force me to continue using lilo :().

> I am very new to the Hurd, i just installed it last night (it was simple
> just extracting a tarball), so i cant say im speaking from experience,
> do you see any problems with the above?

Ahem, I promised Marcus to check it out as well. Let's see when I will
get around to it :(

> I dont think there is anyone on the boot-floppies team that is really
> representing the hurd (i could be wrong), so feel free to join in the
> discussions on debian-boot mail list.

I think it would be very helpful to have Marcus on that list.

> Its important we make the right decisions from all viewpoints at this
> early stage.

ack

Greetings

	Torsten