Re: Issues with releasing bzip2 1.0.1

Torsten Landschoff <torsten@pclab.ifg.uni-kiel.de> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 10:26:53AM -0700, Philippe Troin wrote:
>
> > Quite a few packages depend on libbz2 0.95b.
> > And 0.95d-3 has been released only a couple of days ago.
> > For some reasons, libbz2-1.0.1 has to conflict with libbz2 << 0.95b-3.
>
> Is there no way to make a new libbz2 package which does NOT conflict with
> the new libbz2-1 package? That libbz2 package would only need the library
> itself and that should not conflict. Looks like the cleanest solution to
> me.

No. The problem is that libbz2 << 0.95d-3 contained the bzip2
documentation (which was a bad idea in the first place, but...)
including info files and manpages. Obviously 1.0.1 also contains the
same documentation. I moved the docs in the bzip2 package in 0.95-3
hence the conflict.

> Hmm, source for that compatibility library could be bzip2-obsolete or
> something.

Yup, that's probably better than renaming the "real" bzip2 source
since this will go away someday.

Phil.