Re: Issues with releasing bzip2 1.0.1

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 10:26:53AM -0700, Philippe Troin wrote:

> Hi have some issues with releasing bzip2 1.0.1.
> Namely, the current bzip2 source package (0.95d-3) generates three
> packages:
> 	libbz2
> 	libbz2-dev (depends on libbz2)
> 	bzip2 (depends on libbz2)
>
> Quite a few packages depend on libbz2 0.95b.
> And 0.95d-3 has been released only a couple of days ago.
> For some reasons, libbz2-1.0.1 has to conflict with libbz2 << 0.95b-3.
>
> Solution #1:

[Cut a lot of solutions keeping both libbz2 and libbz2-1]
How about Solution #4: Abbandon libbz2. It'll make all those packages
uninstallable, but this is unstable, and they'll get recompiled well
before release. I prefer to keep as few copies of libraries as possible,
and this early in Woody, it's easy to completely replace a library.
This may not be such a good idea if they aren't source compatible,
though.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.dhis.org