Stripping cygnus insight

Hi,

I've almost stripped insight-5.0 from accompanying libs and in a relatively clean way.
The package may be available anytime soon.

I'm working on stripping it because otherwise the package is undesirably huge. My question
is however this: I want to strip the .orig.tar.gz, too. That is I want to make it smaller
because I don't want unused sources to be uploaded. Is that okay? Stripping goes like this:
rm -rf tcl tk itcl itk ...

This would OTOH make it impossible to build the orig.tar.gz without my patches. So this
corrupts the semantics of 'orig.tar.gz'. What should I do?

BTW, is there any policy on trying to avoid statically linked binary packages?

Thanks,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr