Re: kernel BUG [Was: Re: rm and ls don't work for large files]

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 08:39:33AM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Mon 28 Aug 2000, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 02:52:01PM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
>
> > > The problem here, as I mentioned in an earlier reply before this got
> > > crossposted to l-k, is that "our" version of libc is the one released
> > > with debian 2.2 potato, i.e. one that's intended for use with 2.2
> > > kernels. AFAIK 2.2 kernels don't have any lstat64.
>
> > Ok, but someone will want to use larger files, be it with a patch to 2.2 or
> > with a 2.4 kernel. Do we need to release a special libc version for those?
>
> Good question :-)  I have no idea. I would hope that the latest
> glibc checks whether lstat64 & friends are available, and if not,
> falls back to the 32-bit versions. Maybe someone who's intimate
> with the glibc details can enlighten us?
>
> [ more good questions snipped ]

I've been trying to get LFS to work with 2.2.16. And so far, I've had no
luck. I've used the patches against 2.2.16, found at
ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/lfs/lfs-1.2.0.tar.gz which applied cleanly.

After building the kernel, and a reboot. I recompiled the libc6 (2.1.3-13)
deb with LINUX_SOURCE set to the location of the patched kernel tree. After
installing the fresh .deb's and another reboot, I attempted to recompile
fileutils (4.0l-8)... However, fileutils configure script does not detect
'large file support.' The relevant lines from the configure script output
follow:

checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS... 64
checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE... no
checking for _LARGE_FILES... no

Does anyone have LFS working on a potato installation?