Re: apt-get and proxy

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Andreas Tille wrote:

> When I wrote, that the proxy variables were ignored just my description
> was wrong.  May be they are used but they are used in an other way
> than if I use settings in /etc/apt/apt.conf.  While trying several different
> proxy-settings (sorry, don't remember) there, I got explicitely the
> message that the proxy is contacted.  Using just the environment

Nope, they are 100% identical. The only way it could not work is if you
were not actually exporting the variable, or were typing something wrong.

> the time is always the same when updating package list (also doing this
> several times on the same box - at least this could be cached even
> without using a proxy - is this worth a wishlist-bug?) or when obtaining

It is cached - only environmental problems can defeat the cache - these
invariably boil down to defective servers, transparent proxies, or
*something* like that.

Jason