Re: apt-get and proxy

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 07:55:11AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> I'm in real trouble with apt-get and a squid proxy.

We've got the same problem when using apt via Squid via a broken
IBM proxy. (Apt connects to the Squid proxy, which has the proxies
of the German provider T-Online as its only and mandatory parent.[1]
I thought it was the result of some strange interaction between the
two proxies and didn't care. I just changed all apt methods from ftp
to their http equivalents, which works.

Before, most packages were rejected due to a "size mismatch". Just
moving these packages from /var/cache/apt/archives/partial to
/var/cache/apt/archives and re-running apt worked.

 - Sebastian

[1] The IBM proxy is quite buggy. It returns an HTTP status of 200 (Ok)
    on several occasions, where an error code would be appropriate.
    This also showed a bug in Squid: Squid tries to request a
    document called something like /squid-internal-db from
    neightbor caches. Of course the IBM proxy does not find this
    document and returns status code 200 with an HTML body, saying
    "404 Document Not Found". Squid, on the other hand, handles the
    returned document as binary data and tries to parse it,
    resulting in undefined behaviour. (In our case it hung while
    consuming all CPU power.)