Re: APT problem

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 06:36:34AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels <lists@lina.inka.de> was heard to say:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 05:37:52PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   (especially since this looks like just the well-established behavior of
> >    downloading changed packages..)
>
> I dont have a example right now, but on my system aptitude will download the
> same package again and again. So in case it sees a difference must be
> related two different sources provide the same package entry. then it
> downloads the pakcage from one source and compares it with the entry of
> another source. Hmm.. i will watch the problems and report them.

  Ok, between this and another message sent to me, I think that the problem
is that aptitude doesn't clear sticky "reinstall" flags, and must be
autoflagging stuff for reinstall when this occur.  This doesn't have a really
great solution, since you can't (easily) tell whether a reinstall was
successful after the fact, but I could just unconditionally clear the
reinstall flag for now; I doubt many people use it manually.  In the future,
I suppose a fancy system for detecting reinstallations is possible, but it
might be more trouble than it's worth.

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|       f u cn rd ths,      |      Apostrophes are not a warning that a       |