Re: (Beware helix packages) Re: [CrackMonkey] The right to bare legs

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 10:08:43PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Don't do this.  If you're hellbent on forking Debian packages just for the
> sake of doing so, or spraying them with Helix musk, then name the packages
> appropriately.
>
> helix-gnomecc
> helix-gnome-core
> helix-gdm

In the case of Storm, we aren't intending to fork packages, just add a few
things to make it work better in our distro, that Debian doesn't have/want,
so it makes no sense to put it back into Debian.

> > The scheme I am using now works perfectly for all the distributions we
> > support so far, except one: Debian unstable. It is a pity that the one
> > distribution that doesn't work as well is the same one I prefer to
> > use.
>
> This is what happens when you fail to familiarize yourself with the Debian
> Packaging and Policy Manuals, and/or fail to run your ideas by Debian
> developers first.
>
> > If there is a better solution, I am completely open to changing the
> > way things work on my end. I want to be able to preserve the upgrade
> > path for Helix GNOME packages, though. Using NMU versioning breaks
> > that, as it produces flip-flopping between the Debian versions of the
> > packages and mine.
>
> I'm pretty sure that if you switch to using helix-* names for your
> packages, you won't take this problem.  You could even create a task
> packages, say "task-helix-gnome", and make things even easier on your
> users.  Unless you think usage of Helix .debs has already peaked, it's
> better to make this change sooner rather than later.
>
> Progeny is going to have to deal with these issues as well, and we're bound
> and determined to do it the right way.  Corel hasn't managed it.  Stormix
> hasn't managed it.  Would you Helix like to be the first good example, or
> do you want to leave that to Progeny?

stable Debian releases only have security changes and critical bugfixes going
into them once released.  I feel that the security/bugfix is more important
than any of the "extras" offered in the Stormix packages, so your suggestion
means that the security upgrades won't be available to the users ASAP, and
must rather wait for Stormix to build a new version with the fixes.  I think
this removes a very powerful benefit to using Debian, and wouldn't want to
see users robbed of it.  Your definition of "right" seems to break this.
If you have a suggestion that solves this problem, and doesn't require the
current -#.storm# or something of that nature, I'd love to hear it.

--
Ryan Murray, (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@debian.org, rmurray@stormix.com)
Programmer, Stormix Technologies Inc., Debian Developer