Re: Learning dpkg/apt

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 05:07:41PM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Dwayne C . Litzenberger wrote:
>
> > I want to learn the total innards of dpkg/apt.  I recently filed a bug
> > complaining about the fact that dpkg is too slow, but I want to actually _do_
> > something about it (other than ordering other developers around).
>
> Actuallu the slowest thing about dpkg is the database of files. I would be
> cool if dpkg could use some sort of relational database for that.

no it wouldn't, as soon as that database gets corrupted in whatever
way your completly screwed and have to reinstall.

this happened to me once and the only thing that saved me was the fact
that the dpkg databases were in human readable text format.

ill take slow over unrecoverable any day.

for things like querying (dpkg -s and such) install dlocate it solves
that problem the Right Way.  (unfortunatly it got removed from potato
for less then critical bugs)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/