Essential virtual packages

Im trying to understand a few things relating to packaging... take the
kernel for example

I just did a fresh install of potato, and then installed my own kernel
image built by kernel-package, dselect lists my custom kernel as being
the only kernel-image installed, i cant see any reference to the
original kernel image.
Shouldnt both be the original kernel and my custom kernel be listed as
being installed?

According to my understanding from the policy manual the functionality
provided by the virtual package kernel-image, which in my case is
supplied by both the original and custom kernel should be both required
and Essential...

I cant find any details on the virtual package kernel-image except its
name, do virtual packages have priorities and can they be marked
essential ?

Glenn