Re: NMU's completely removed from kaffe in woody

Well Ben, there are two reasons that I ignored the NMUs.

The first reason is that Kaffe revisions have been so long in coming that
the 1.0.6 source base bears little to no resembelence to the 1.0.5
source. Maintaining the patches that were done against 1.0.5 would be
difficult at best and I was more concerned with getting 1.0.6 out so
that people could use it.

This issue is about to be compounded by the fact that Transvirtual is
merging all of their proprietary code into the open source base. This
means that a spectrum of features (framebuffer AWT, improved JIT, much
better native thread support, etc.) will be moving into the GPL source
base.

So, in short 1.0.6 and the release after will both represent what are
effectively new pieces of software and tracking bugs let alone source
patches across those releases will be a waste of everyone's time.

The second reason I chose to cut a lot of NMU changelogs was that you
took it upon yourself to load them with vindictive, personal and
unprofessional statements. Why you need to say things like "I wish the
maintainer of this software would pay attention to his packages" in a
changelog is completely beyond me.

I insured that a 1.0.5 release was available days after it was
released, as I did with 1.0.6, yet you continue to try and paint a
picture of negligence. Frankly, it seems clear to me that its personal
and I don't no why. Nor do I care.

I spent all last week working in Transvirtual's offices, know Tim
Wilkinson personally and have an active business relationship with TVT.
I use Kaffe on a daily basis, package it for my own use and currently use
it on a number of handheld devices including the MIPS platform (for more
info see: http://www.pocketlinux.com).

In short, I don't want to belittle your comments but I would ask you
to conduct yourself a little more professionally. At least try to bring
issues to me (or at least debian-java) before you waste devel's time
with issues that have little or no basis.

Regards,
E.Schuessler

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 11:14:28AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> (Ean, you are Cc'd just in case you aren't sub'd to -devel, please feel
> free to denote otherwise to avoid duplicates)
>
> Over the course of potato release, there were several NMU's done on the
> kaffe package to fix some RC bugs. I've listed them here for clarity and
> reference:
>
> 59420: kaffe_1:1.0.5e-0.3(frozen): bad register names on m68k
> 58434: kaffe: can't build from source
> 59575: jit3 not supported on sparc build
> 58434: can't build from source
> 55835: kaffe_1:1.0.5e-0.1(frozen): build error: make -j fails
> 55618: kaffe: shell scripts starting kaffe components contain invalid paths
> 55848: jdk1.1: paths screwed up ?
> 55961: url in copyright file doesn't work
> 55618: kaffe: shell scripts starting kaffe components contain invalid paths
> 49893: New upstream version
> 52911: Kaffe new version available
> 34385: kaffe: symlinks for appletviewer missing
> 36715: kaffe: javaverify alternative
> 36869: kjavac and kjavadoc missing
> 36711: kaffe: change dependencies
> 51416: debian kaffe is missing functionality
> 51230: kaffe: No exception raised when an external program is not found
>
> Some of these are rather important bug fixes. Some are not. According to
> the changelog in potato, the last upload Ean made was in April of 1999,
> followed by 5 NMU's by myself, Adam Heath and Zed Pobre. Note Adam works
> for Ean, and it is Ean's contention that since he asked Adam to make those
> NMU's on the clock (paid), that he was not ignoring the package, but
> delegating it to him.
>
> Now, here's the real problem. In the woody package, none of the NMU's show
> up. Not only are they gone, but all of the modifications that were made
> are gone aswell. So the "fixed" status of all of these bugs is now
> incorrect and they all need to be set back to their original severity and
> checked/fixed again! All of this work gone to waste, when before Jul, the
> maintainer had nothing to do with his own package, and others had to fix
> the damn thing.
>
> Even more suspicious is a new entry in the woody changelog from Dec of
> 1999, that never shows up potato (which has a last changelog date of March
> 2000). So now not only are all the NMU's ignored, but false changelog
> entries are made, for uploads that were never done!
>
> This is rediculous. Ean knows about these NMU's. He asked Adam to peform
> his, and I emailed him about the ones I did, and he responded. Why must our
> packages take a step back!?

Ean Schuessler                Director of Strategic Weapons Systems
Brainfood, Inc.                  A Devices that Kill People company
*** WARNING: This signature may contain jokes.