Login temrinated w/signal 13

Hello,

I have a potato box which serves as a Mail server. When I try to login via
ssh, I get this:

bash-2.04$ slogin -l root mail
root@mail's password:
Last login: Thu Aug 17 18:51:25 2000 from wishbringer.work.de on pts/0
Linux mail 2.2.16 #4 Fri Jun 16 19:42:13 CEST 2000 i686 unknown

Most of the programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are
freely redistributable; the exact distribution terms for each program
are described in the individual files in /usr/doc/*/copyright

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
sh: /usr/bin/X11/xauth: No such file or directory
Command terminated on signal 13.

And then I get dumped back to my originating host. Signal 13 is "broken
pipe", isn't it? So not very educating. I try 3-4 times and
then it works. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? The
only other system anomaly I could discover is:

debconf: failed to initialize Text frontend
debconf: falling back to Dialog frontend

Which I also don't know what is causing this (I haven't checked really
because I don't see how the two problems could be related).

Any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Nils

--