Re: libtool and sonames

Hi Federico,

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 04:43:49PM +0200, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> 	i am packaging a libtoolized library and i am havin some problems
> on how to name the resulting package. the program (elastiC) is in early
> beta and the libelastic API changes quite a lot. at now the libtool
> -version-info is 14:1:0, resulting in libelastic.so.14.0.1. so should
> i name the package libelastic14? but next version will have 15:1:0
> (the API changes quite a lot as i said), resulting in libelastic.so.15.0.2
> and so on...

That's not the SONAME of the library. You can query it by using
$ objdump -p $file|grep SONAME
with $file being the name of the library. What you are seeing as extension
of libelastic.so is the libtool internal versioning info (like you can
find in many other libraries, see e.g. /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0.5.3).

> 	i would very much prefer to version the library 0.14, 0.15
> (or 0.0.14, 0.0.15) and so on, switching to 1.x.x when backward
> incompatibilities are added (plain old debian way.) what should i do?
> simply go on and enforce my own versioning scheme? any good algorithm
> to choose version numbers from libtool version info?

I would expect that libelastic does not yet have a version like
0.14 attached. They are probably using only libtool versioning which
does not fit well into Debian package names - they are not using the
-release option.

My suggestion would be to call the package something along the lines
of libelastic0.0 and make each program package depend on that exact
version of the package. If OTOH the library is only internal to the elastic
program you can just include it into that package for now.

cu

    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member