Re: ITP: dvipdfm - A DVI to PDF translator

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> wrote:

> Right now there are 4 ways to produce PDF's (AFAIK)

    [...]

> That said, my current favorite method is to use gs 6.0's ps2pdf, my
> documents all have eps figures!
>
> There are other problems however - ...

> Another problem is that the times font (or any native postscript font for
> that matter!) does seem to support ligatures! This problem is not limited
> to just PDF however, postscript files output from dvips and viewed in
> ghostscript show pound signs for 'fi' and other ligatures are similarly
> wrong. Converting that postscript to PDF naturally propagates this error
> :<

The ligatures are supported, but dvips switches the characters in the
font around.  This can be fixed by turning off the "G" option in the
/etc/texmf/dvips/config.pdf file.

% Character shifting. You want to do this using the BlueSky/AMS/Y&Y fonts.
% It remaps certain ``control character'' positions to an another range
% where these characters are repeated. This option is compatible (and will
% have no effect on) standard Adobe or other Type 1 fonts that do not use
% to problematic positions. It is INCOMPATIBLE with any fonts that use
% these control character positions but that DO NOT repeat them in the
% exact same way as the BlueSky/... fonts. I don't know of any, but I
% haven't even tested this with BaKoMa fonts.

%G

- Brian