Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

On 06/21/2012 04:08 PM, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> Howdy, desktop,
>
> As many of you know, we're tragically close to freeze. As a result, the
> usual process of voting, debating and picking a theme via consensus is
> not really possible. There was also a distinct lack of interest in such
> a process, as well.
>
> I've taken it upon myself to start getting desktop-base into shape for
> wheezy.
>
> I've picked the "Joy"[1] theme by Adrien Aubourg as the default
> for Debian 7.0, which features a tasteful, understated and classic
> look, something that both identifies as Debian while still maintaining
> an air of professionalism.
>
> Congrats, and thank you Adrien!
>
> I'd like to thank everyone who submited artwork, and express how
> impressed I am with the artistic talent we have in Debian.
>
> I'd like to also give high honors to the "Roj"[2] theme, as well as the
> "7th Element"[3] theme. If there was more time before freeze, I'd love to
> have seen a working mockup of 7th Element. I don't think anyone will
> argue that 7th Element had one of the most jaw-dropping and impressive
> login designs I've ever seen.
>
> The plan for wheezy is as follows:
>
>  * I've pushed changes to desktop-base to SVN.
>
>  * Once I give it some finial polish, I will target an upload to experimental,
>    where it will (hopefully) recieve some testing, feedback and patches.
>
>  * Once it's in good shape, or directly before freeze, an upload to
>    unstable will be targeted.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Paul
>
> [1]: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Joy
> [2]: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Roj
> [3]: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/7th-element

I'm a latecomer here, but I have to tell you that I think your choice
for the default is a terrific one. I liked the much busier (and
often-maligned) space-fun theme for Squeeze, too. But this is just about
as classy as it can be.

I looked over the various themes posted, and I have to agree with you
that our contributors were very gifted. I hope they know how much a
community like this appreciates their efforts.

Any chance of having alternates from this list available through
debian-alternatives?

the worrier