Re: New installer for CDD (was: Re: yast2 dependancies)

>El Viernes 04 Marzo 2005 21:11, David Schmitt escribió:
>> On Friday 04 March 2005 19:58, bmurphy@paragonlinux.com wrote:
>> > I am interested in moving away from Gnome and concentrating exclusively
>> > on KDE as the windows manager for Paragon.  As such, I will need a new
>> > installer.
>
>> Please take a look at the achievements of debian-installer[1] and
>> coordinate improvements for distribution customisation with
>> debian-custom@lists.d.o.
>>

>> Regards, David
>>
>> [1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer

>As far as I understand, the purpose of porting Yast to Debian is to have a
>central configuration point, not to use it as installer. So it's not >intended
>to replace debian-installer.

First off, I apologize for the badly mangled email.  I am doing this through a web-browser instead of a normal email program.

As for the above replies, I quote from the yast4debian website...

"7. When will I be able to install Debian with YaST2?
If you think about YaST2 as the installation program, perhaps never. We're not (yet) planning to port the installation part of YaST2 (are you interested?). "

That is why I am asking.  I do realize there is an "official" debian-installer.  Having had experience with the anaconda port on Debian with the Componentized Linux group, I am hoping I might be able to lend a hand with the port of the Yast installer.  For various reasons, primarly that my desktop is targeted at "six-pack joe" who will NOT install Linux if it doesn't have a "shiny little install program", I am not interested in using the standard d-i.  The only reason I am even comtemplating moving from anaconda is all the Gnome dependancies that it requires.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Keith