Re: Switching from CVS to a more sane VCS

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 04:12:29AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> This is now working; you can do the following:
> bzr get http://bugs.debian.org/debbugs-source/mainline/
> to pull a working copy of the bzr repository.
>
> To commit, you'll currently need to bzr pull into
> /org/bugs.debian.org/source/mainline or use bzr push with sftp.
> [Hopefully permissions won't be a problem.]

A better idea to commit is to:

   (a) get the source via rsync, which'll get you the right timestamps,
       and probably be faster, viz:

       rsync -vzaP spohr:/org/bugs.debian.org/source/debbugs-source/mainline/ ./

   (b) push via bzr and rsync; first apt-get install bzrtools, then run

       bzr push spohr:/org/bugs.debian.org/source/debbugs-source/mainline

Sadly that screws up permissions a bit, but the way rsync works avoids
most of them being a problem. :-/ I wish we could get "umask 002"
by default on .debian.org boxes, the way it's always been on Debian
boxes... :)

> If someone gets bored, setting up pqm would also be really cool, since
> it would take care of the notifying debbugs-cvs bit of the problem.

There's probably magic bzr hooks you can use for that.

Cheers,
aj