Re: Tweaking configurations

On 21-05-2005 14:31, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 06:10:21PM +0200, C. Gatzemeier wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Am Friday 20 May 2005 08:12 schrieb Tzafrir Cohen:
>>
>>>The nice thing about elektra is that it allows you to add configuration
>>>to a package simply by adding files, which is very package-management
>>>-friendly.
>>
>>Isn't this like the current state with /etc files?
>>OK, besides one file per key as it is the electra idea IIRC.
>

> Today you have to do that with .d directories an explicit include-s.
>
> You can't just install partial configuration for a different package.
>

>>>CFG appears to require a running daemon to apply the config changes,
>>>right?
>>
>>Maybe that is the case with the WBEM provider version, AFAIK the layered CFG
>>is only a modular tool to edit configs on an enhanced abstracted level (node
>>hirarchy with properties).

That seems correct: The currently actively developed variant uses a
so-called WBEM daemon as middle layer. The older alternative approach
(seemingly stalled - no CVS commits since mid of 2004) used the Xerces
XML engine.

>>CFG "is just a tool that people can use to edit existing, plain text files one
>>day, and the next day to edit them by hand if you
>>wish" (http://freedesktop.org/Software/CfgFAQ)

Yes. Even when a WBEM daemon is used, it is only for editing through
CFG. The stored config files are plain text that can be later edited
with vi and accessed normally by the application itself.

> Now think what happens when you add/remove/update a package with such a
> system. The package has to store all of its config information
> somewhere. When a package is installed it will probably drop a file in
> some directory, etc.

What do you mean?

Apache stores its config in /etc/apache.conf - CFG will parse that file
and write back to that file again. Nothing is stored in other places (as
far as I know there is no "caching" as implemented in debconf).

> So on a "package change" many configuration files have to be
> regenerated, even if there are only minor changes. This costs much and
> is error-prone. Take a look at SuSE's YaST.

What do you mean by "regenerated?

If you use sed to edit a config file, then the whole file is
"regenerated" as well...

> Whereas with Elektra, this whole "reconfiguration" mess is not needed.

Elektra is a tool for integration into software directly. It is
completely useless unless you want to patch and recompile the software
(and unless done in cooperation with the upstream author you loose
support from them, as the "hack" is small in size but touches the vital
part of interpretation and storage of config info).

Elektra _is_ very nice, but only for inventing new software, not for
distributing existing software, and certainly not for hacking and
redistributing already prepackaged software.

 - Jonas

- --