Re: let's etch a common way of using debtags for CDDs and beyond!

On 21-05-2005 14:35, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 03:34:12PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>

>>Imagine a Debian package "tweaks" with a big bunch of pre-seeding
>>answers and idempotent (read: cfengine) scripts - a little like
>>autoconf-archive but organized in OWL classes shared with debtags and FAI.
>

> Please imagine something else. The d-i has an explicit support for
> language-specific tweaks at install time.

I believe I then failed to properly express my point:

All autoconf-based code projects also has explicit support for the
snippets in autoconf-archive.

What I imagine is a well-defined archive of snippets needed for various
larger system configuration projects - whether they use FAI, cddtk, d-i
directly, CVS maybe, or some homebrewn structures.

FAI has such archive already, each snippet independent of the other, and
all snippets organized to be able to include only the relevant ones by
meta-expressions (FAI "classes").

What is new is that I want this well-organized archive of tweaks
_shared_ among several system configuration systems (not only FAI, but
also distro projects like CDD and d-i, and also homebrewn tweaking
setups). The keys to lift it out is IMHO to package it seperately
(suppressing recommends of the larger FAI package is discouraging) and
shift the organisation of the pile into one shared with package
selection projects (FAI classes <=> debtags facets).

Also, with FAI the tweaks archive is part of a larger "toolbox" of setup
and maintainance logic, and the whole toolbox is assumed reachable
(through NFS and recently extending to other ways like CVS) whenever
working with some of it. Some other system setup and maintainance
projects (like cddtk-based CDDs) won't want all that flexibility - they
only those tweaks relevant for their own specific setup. So I imagine
the well-structured archive extended to not only be usable directly, but
also able to provide copies of tweaks instead of just execute the
tweaking code. So cddtk can say to debtags "include KDE suite and
learning apps, but exclude GNOME suite and administrational apps" and
pass same expression to the tweaks package which then (because KDE uses
aRts and GNOME uses Esound) includes with the CDD distro the tweaks to
Mozilla, pytone and various other packages (but off course only those
included with the distro) to make sure they enable sound support and use
aRts instead of Esound.

Debian package maintainers can then use the tweaks projekt to see what
creative (ab)users of their packages would want them to extend their
package maintainance routines to include support for. And when they
adopt ideas, they only need to work with the tweaks package
maintainer(s) to drop the deprecated tweak, instead of coordinating with
(possibly hundreds of) various CDDs to have them drop their homebrewn
workaround hacks.

 - Jonas

- --