Re: a FAI quickstart (Re: let's etch a common way of using debtags for CDDs and beyond!

On 20-05-2005 13:18, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,

>>>It's available now and called fai, version 2.8.2 ;)
>>
>>Sure FAI is there - and has been for some time. But installing the
>>Debian package "fai" (using a sane tool like aptitude) pulls in various
>>servers and bootstrappers.
>

> So, installing fai (on every machine) with all recommended packages is not
> sane^Wrecommended. Even a sophisticated hammer (aptitude) still remains a
> hammer ;-)
>
> If you only want the tweaking capabilities of fai, install fai with apt-get or
> dpkg. Quiet simple ;-)

Simple?

As in "override all occurences of apt-get with aptitude in your scripts
to get all the cool stuff like tagging auto-installed packages - except
for the case of fai where you "just" install it using some different
hammer because. Just because."

> For exactly these reasons it is planned _post-sarge_ to split the fai package
> into smaller packages.

...which I believe is then the answer to the question put by Sergio (I
believe - you rudely cut out the name of those you quoted, Holger). :-)

>>The reason the tweaks needs to be separate from the rest is that they
>>can then be included with installations needing to be tweaked (because
>>no, not all installations will have network access so even no recent FAI
>>support for CVS as alternative to NFS is not always good enough - the
>>tweaks may possibly even be applied with other tools than the FAI ones).
>

> NFS is not requiered anymore.
>
> And even if you don't have a network (so you cannot use cvs or svn) you could
> still put the fai package and a fai_configdir package (or cvs/svn
> repositories) on cd.

I am aware that you can abusively ignore the abusive recommendations of
fai, but my point was to have FAI classes available without abuse. See
the words "separate Debian package" in third line of first quote above? :-)

 - Jonas

- --