[mdz@alcor.net: New Debian-based Company: Canonical Software]

Just so there's no ambiguity, I've been hired by Canonical.

I know at least Sergio caught this on -devel but I wanted to make sure
that rest of the CDD folks saw this as well.

Clearly, companies making derived Debian distributions is nothing
new. That said, one of Canonical's goals in making our own
distribution is to track Debian as closely as possible and to give
back, as we work, all the work we do on our distro. The team
recognizes that what we're doing is, or at least overlaps heavily,
with the goals of the CDD project. We're interested in working in this
community.

Mark Shuttleworth, the guy behind most of this, was at Debconf and was
an active participant in the CDD brainstorming session organized by
Cosimo and Enrico. The Canonical guys at Debconf were all encouraged
to attend, and interact, at the CDD talk as well. Others who were
there can speak up to contradict or correct me but I thought the
interactions were all pretty positive.

It's not entirely clear what the relationship between Canonical's
distribution and the CDD project will be over time. On our side, we'll
be monitoring activity in the CDD world (which is easy since several
of us are involved with individual CDDs and -custom already) and we'll
make an effort to post some sort of regular summaries of what
Canonical is up to. On your side, you can sign up at
http://www.no-name-yet.com and we'll put you on a super-low traffic
announce list so you can track what we're doing and potentially get
involved directly once we get get off the ground.

I'm confident that we'll be able to collaborate heavily and help each
other out over time.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako@bork.hampshire.edu

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS
--- Begin Message ---
Some of you have probably noticed a number of active Debian developers
fixing RC bugs with patches being hosted at the same rather enigmatic web
site:

      http://www.no-name-yet.com/

Those who attended Mark Shuttleworth's DebConf talk, or heard rumors about a
"Super Secret Debian Startup," may have connected the dots.

A number of Debian developers, myself included, have been hired by a new
company, Canonical Software, to work with and in Debian to create a derived
distribution. We haven't yet finalized a public name for the distribution
but the codename for our first release is 'Warty Warthog.' It will be free
of charge, and will be Free Software. We'll contribute bug fixes and
improvements back to the community as we make them -- not just at release
time.

We're preparing for an initial release in the near future so at the moment
all of our energy is going towards fixing release critical Debian bugs and
sending these patches back to Debian. You can find those patches at
http://www.no-name-yet.com/patches/ or in debbugs.

We've been quiet this long because we wanted to have concrete work and real
patches before making any announcement. We'll have another, more formal
announcement once we have something installable to show.

If you're interested in our activities, visit http://www.no-name-yet.com/ to
check out the patches or subscribe to an ultra-low-traffic announcement
mailing list. We will send out information on that list about how to sign up
for free CDs soon.

--
 - mdz