My talk @ Manresa and other things ...

  I've left my slides of the Manresa talk at:

    http://people.debian.org/~sto/Manresa2004/

  They are written in english (in fact using a lot of material from
  Andreas and Enrico), I'll be happy if the people on the list takes a
  look and tells me what they think.

  I'm mainly interested in discussing some of the open issues presented
  on the slides and others not present there, just to put everithing in
  one place (cdd-doc?, wiki.debian.net?) for reference and discussion.

  Besides the things mentioned on the slides, Ben Armstrong suggested me
  another open issue on IRC:

  - Installing a CDD as part of the standard Debian install, or on an
    already-installed Debian system; CDDs can't go in tasksel, as they
    bloat the base disk set.

    proposals 1: modify tasksel (this isn't going to happen -- the last
    remaining CDD, Debian Jr., has been removed from tasksel by the
    maintainer)

    proposal 2: Devise a debtags-based solution.  This one depends on
    better debtags integration into standard package admin tools.

  At Manresa I gave my talk just after Ian Murdock and he talked about
  Progeny's Componentized Linux approach, they use *components* instead
  of *metapackages* and their installation system (Anaconda) uses those
  components to install the system. Maybe having *components* for each
  CDD is also an option, but it will not work with d-i.

  I've put on the list of open issues one of the things we talked about
  in the Valencia Congress; the use of a standard tool for modifying
  configuration files.

  I believe that the main problem with debconf pre seeding is that we
  don't have a standard way of using the questions' answers to modify
  the configuration files, if we had one (based on cfengine of
  config4gnu or whatever tool we agree on) the pre seeding used on CDDs
  like DebianEdu would be a lot easier to add to packages (adding low
  priority questions to them with sane defaults for the standard Debian
  distribution).

  I think it would be a good idea to have some standard tool to do that,
  but before moving the discussion to debian-devel (as this can be
  useful not only for CDDs but for all package maintainers) I would like
  to hear more opinions / ideas about that.

  Any comments about my talk are welcomed (including spelling errors ... ;)

  Greetings,

    Sergio.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69