Re: debian-trivia

--- Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org> wrote:
> <alex@aoi.dyndns.org> writes:
>
>     AH> That should be a good start. Anyone care to
> comment?
>
> Yes.
>
> I'm no genius, but even to a dunderhead like me, it
> seems like the
> Debian package mechanism is getting quite creaky
> with age. Something
> that scaled well for a package catalog in the
> hundreds does terribly for
> package catalogs in the tens of thousands.  For
> example:

> on loaded or
>           low-memory machines.
>
>         * Browsing package catalogs for useful
> packages is practically
>           impossible.
>
> It seems like we need a revamp of the Debian catalog
> and package
> format to allow at least the following:
>
>         * Sub-architectures. Allow some binary
> packages that are
>           CPU-bound to be optimized for particular
> chips. For example,
>           a Pentium II computer might be able to
> install packages
>           tagged for the i386/i686 architecture, the
> i386/i586
>           architecture, and the i386 architecture.
>
>         * Multiple versions of the same package.
> Instead of having 10
>           jillion python2.2, python2.1, and
> python1.5 library
>           packages, allow multiple binaries tagged
> with the
>           appropriate version.
>
>         * Hierarchical categories. We have <10
> categories of software
>           in the Debian system right now. This is
> just laughable. We
>           need to be able to tag packages according
> to real useful
>           categories, like
> "Network/Internet/Clients/Chat/IRC" or
>           "Libraries/DataFormat/XML/Parser". This
> should make browsing
>           for appropriate software a lot easier than
> "apt-cache search
>           irc" or "apt-cache search xml".
>
>         * Optimizations of the catalog as stored at
> the leaf node
>           machine.
>
> My main comment is this: where does this discussion
> go on? On
> debian-devel? -private? Who do I talk to to get
> Debian working better
> for me.
>
> ~ESP

Nice to read you, Evan.

I don't know, but if we want to take a capitulation
position or not (to the juggernaut) I do think XML
does adequately describe data.

I hear so often... disk is cheap
memory is cheap

$60 billion dollars, at #!perl '*' x 15 least, and the
freaking morons run on less porsche boxsters?

Don't say you didn't hear it hear first.

-jsn