Re: Tech ctte tweaks

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 06:24:49PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I agree with the proposal to implement a rotating chair, for the reasons
> you've given.
> It seems to contradict 6.1.7 of the constitution as written to have an
> automatically rotating chair, however.  Are we amending the constitution (no
> way to get that done by the 15th), or is this just an informal agreement for
> each chair to vacate after a term of two months?

That seems easiest; currently the only way to change chairs seems to be by
the current chair resigning anyway.

> > (3) Advisory opinions from the chair
> > So I propose we establish that our procedure in addressing issues is
> > for the chair to quickly issue an initial opinion; and to only vote on
> > issues when an official ruling is needed (eg, to overrule a maintainer)
> > or when members of the tech ctte disagree.
> Is there a fixed period in which tech ctte members should be expected to
> comment if they disagree?

Presumably we can expect any additional comments from other members
within a few days or a week; but you'd need to ask for a vote before it
should be taken as absolutely definitive, I'd think.

Cheers,
aj