Name of the Debian x86-64/AMD64 port

I take exception to:

"Several of the people working on the port have expressed outcry at this
and questioned whether it was indeed my decision to select the name for
the architecture."

So far the signed email vote for amd64 on debian-amd64 list by the
porters is:

AMD64 naming
-----
14 for
 0 against
10 yet to vote

So that is a lot more than just several people, it is the majority of
the amd64 porter team, so far everyone who has voted wants to use AMD64
as the name.

--

Also, Scott forgot to mention that even Microsoft names the arch amd64,
which he seemed to think was a good reason not to use it. ;)

Windows XP (for AMD64 arch)

srv03sp1_usa_1069_amd64fre_pro.iso

--

As far as marketing and user facing documentation from the various
os/dists the following use amd64:

FreeBSD
Gentoo
LSB
Mandrake
Microsoft
NetBSD
OpenBSD
RedHat Enterprise Linux
SUSE

Only Fedora refers to the arch as x86_64 in documentation. To use
anything else will, in my honest opinion, confuse users.

Sincerely,

Chris Cheney