Re: Processed: yawn

Hi,

        It is my considered optinion that this is a serious
 bug. Whether or not the bug is release critical depends purely on the
 release manager.

	So the issue now boils down to a standard dispute between the
 submitter and the maintainer on the severity or validity of a bug;
 and we have no formal resolution protocols beyond submission to the
 tech ctte and letting the committee decide.

	In general, the underlying problem may arise with any
 obstinate bug submitter who refuses to agree with the maintainer's
 opinion of the severity. The problem is worse when the submitter is
 not a developer, since there is little one may do to impose any
 standards of behaviour on an outsider. Fortunately, this is not the
 problem we are faced with here. The maintainer always has the
 recourse to the tag wontfix.

	In this particular instance, I don't see a problem. Let the
 bug be labeled serious, for it is that.  Since the release manager
 agrees that the bug is not RC, I see no negative repercussion of
 having the bug at severity serious as opposed to important.

>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

 Branden> Anthony has offered no basis for his latest manipulation of
 Branden> my bug list aside from the derisive remark in the Subject:.

	I would think that violation of a must directive in policy is
 adequate to label this a serious bug.

 Branden> I am requesting the Technical Committee's resolution of this
 Branden> dispute under Section 6.1 of the Constitution.  Both parties
 Branden> stipulate that the bug in question is not release critical.
 Branden> Therefore, this bug does not fall within the Release
 Branden> Manager's jurisdiction, and I am not aware of any other
 Branden> grounds upon which the package maintainer's discretion can
 Branden> be overridden on issues like this.

	The package maintainer does not really have discretion over
 bugs filed in the BTS. Secondly, any one can file reports, with the
 severity they wish. We have not imposed any restrictions about
 tagging, setting severity, opening and reopening bugs. Indeed, I
 would consider it a duty for any well wisher of Debian to ensure that
 the severities of bug reports are correct.  One would hope that a
 modicum of restraint and judgement is exercised in these cases.

	In any case, no one can force the package maintainer to act on
 any bug report, regardless of severity.

	manoj
--
 The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the
 face.