Re: Adding cloud-init in the next Wheezy point release

Niltze!

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> On 05/07/2013 08:16 PM, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On 2013-05-06 17:19, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> In this thread:
> >> https://lists.debian.org/debian-cloud/2013/05/msg00002.html
> >>
> >> we have been discussing how we could have cloud-init in the Debian cloud
> >> images.
> >>
> >> One solution is to enable wheezy-backports by default in the images.
> >> Though there are some concerns that we shouldn't do that, as this isn't
> >> the default in Debian right now.
> >
> > If it's just to pull the package in during image build, is that a
> > particular problem?
>
> The problem that was raised is that some users might want to do security
> updates, which then wouldn't be possible.
>
> A typical workflow would be:
> - A user uses a pre-build Debian official image, then customizes it
> - He uses the cloud, then decides to upgrade his image
> - He then makes a snapshot of the image using the cloud API
>
> If we don't provide a way so that cloud-init is also upgraded, then
> we have a problem (I'm not saying there will be a problem on
> cloud-init, but we should always prepare for the worst).
>

> >> The other solution would be to add cloud-init in the next point release
> >> of Wheezy. We all know that there's some strong rules that we shouldn't
> >> add new things in the stable distribution, even more after the freeze.
> >
> > I assume you mean after the release? It's a little late to worry about
> > being after the freeze.
>
> A "than" is missing. I meant to write "even more than after the freeze".
>
> > If cloud-init is so mission-critical, why was this never noticed or
> > raised *before* the release?
>
> It was. But it took some time to get it into SID. According to the
> PTS, Charles Plessy uploaded it to Experimental in the 23rd of
> June. Then Julien Danjou uploaded it into SID last January, but it
> stayed in the NEW queue for a very long time.
>
> The main problem is that the interest for the cloud and building
> an official Debian cloud image is fairly recent. There is more and
> more people (including DDs) interested in it, and not having
> cloud-init in main is quite annoying for those of us who do desire
> to build cloud images.
>
> Anyway, I don't think that digging in the history of the package
> will help solving anything, so let's stop! :)
>
> We (at least Julien and I) thought it would be ok to use backports,
> but on the 2nd thought, it doesn't seem to be the best solution.
> I already explained that activating backports by default isn't
> desirable: since that isn't the default for Wheezy. The other
> argument is that cloud-init would be the only package which
> would be needed from backports. Which is why I wonder what the
> release team opinion was, and if we could do something about it.
>
> If there is a strong *no* from the release team, i guess we could
> live with the backports solution, though it is my opinion that it
> would be best if we could make an exception in this case.
> [...]

I agree with Zigo: add cloud-init in the next Wheezy point release. It
is *critical* to leverage the momentum Debian is experiencing *now* in
the commercial (enterprises and SMBs) rapid adoption of the cloud
computing paradigm. Let us not lose it.

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R