Re: SCIM, OpenOffice and The GIMP

Arne Götje (高盛華) wrote:

For oo.o to work you need toset your LC_CTYPE environment variable to either zh_TW.UTF-8 or zh_CN.UTF-8. Unfortunately oo.o (and maybe some other apps) check for the LC_CTYPE if it is set to a chinese locale or not... The UI will still be english (or any other language you set as main LANG).

The Debian maintainers of SCIM also suggested I look at my locale settings. I did and I can in fact start OOo in English, Spanish and Chinese (and probably Italian, but I've so far not tried)

My /etc/locale.gen is as follows:

en_GB ISO-8859-1

### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION FOR localeconf
# Do not edit within this region if you want your changes to be preserved
# by debconf.  Instead, make changes before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
# FOR localeconf" line, and/or after the "### END DEBCONF SECTION FOR
# localeconf" line.
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
it_IT.UTF-8 UTF-8
zh_TW.UTF-8 UTF-8
zh_CN.UTF-8 UTF-8
es_ES.UTF-8 UTF-8
### END DEBCONF SECTION FOR localeconf

I run locale-gen and get:

# locale-gen
Generating locales...
  en_GB.ISO-8859-1... done
  en_GB.UTF-8... done
  en_US.UTF-8... done
  it_IT.UTF-8... done
  zh_TW.UTF-8... done
  zh_CN.UTF-8... done
  es_ES.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.

The SCIM icon appears on my tray as soon as I open an application with which it works (terminal window, gedit, AbiWord etc) and then stays there until the end of the X-window session. Sometimes trying to get it to work with OOo I get two. Anyway with the SCIM icon already showing I carry on in the terminal window as follows:

rt@localhost:~$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
rt@localhost:~$ export LC_ALL="zh_CN.UTF-8"
rt@localhost:~$ export LANG=zh_CN
rt@localhost:~$ export LANGUAGE=zh_CN
rt@localhost:~$ locale
LANG=zh_CN
LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="zh_CN.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=zh_CN.UTF-8
rt@localhost:~$ oowriter

and OOo Writer starts without error messages, with the UI in English and with the font set to my default Asian font 'AR PL SungtiL GB'. But Chinese character input with SCIM is not possible.

Same with:

rt@localhost:~$ export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
rt@localhost:~$ oowriter

Gimp2 works for me, but it may be the same issue like for oo.o.
For Java, I don't know, as I haven't got any Java application to work correctly with Unicode or accepting chinese input. But my guess would be it depends on the Java interpreter (which one you use and the settings you installed it and you are running it with). Maybe it's best to take a look at the Java docs if they mention something in there... :)

The GIMP now seems to work with SCIM for me - sorry I don't know the cause of the false alarm.

SCIM will work with the Java application TransJ (http://www.softsky.biz/cocoon/) but not the translator's tool OmegaT (www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html) or the text editor Korais (http://korais.sourceforge.net/)

Afraid I would not be able to understand any answers in
Chinese.Arguably AbiWord and gedit should be enough for any
beginners' exercises I undertake in the language, but still it would
be nice to have SCIM working with OOo at this point.

Using: Debian Sarge, Gnome 2.8.1

ok, works for me (except Java) as I described above.

Cheers
Arne

Thanks

Robert