please help me with xcin

Hi,
I can run xcin via xcinterm but I don't know how to write e.g. in
 KWrite etc. Someone gave me advice to run qtconfig and set Overthespot
in Interfaces, which I did, but to no avail. I used xcin in Mandrake
without problem. All I needed to do was install it, set
LC_CTYPE=zh_DN.GB2312 in ~/.i18n logout and then just press ctrl+shift
to open xcin. Is this possible in debian? How?
Thanks for help
Petr Simon