Re: limits for package name and version (MBF alert: ... .deb filenames)

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 06:31:38PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>Hi,
>
>In order to manage package file name length below 90 and to have sane
>screen for package management, may I suggest to recommend some limits
>(for lintian check etc.):
>
> * package name string should be less than 40 characters.
> * version name string should be less than 30 characters.
>   (security updates etc. excluded)
>
>Older part of maint-guide text recommend to use 20 or less for package
>name for last 10 years or so.  This may be too short for the modern system
>but it is good to have some commonly agreed limits as recommendation.
>
>I will be bumping limit numbers in maint-guide to these.
>
>See below for my rationale with the statistics.
>
>On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 01:48:23PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 09:54:49AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> >Don't let it go over 250 *bytes* (not characters. UTF-8 and all that...).
>
>Why UTF-8?  We should keep it within ASCII so any system can display all
>package file name.  In ASCII range, UTF-8 and ASCII are the same byte
>sequence.

We should stick to ASCII, yes. Our original problem (Joliet filename
lengths) shows up again here - Joliet is encoded in UCS-2 for Windows
use, so the limit we're stuck with is ~180 bytes or ~90 characters.

"This dress doesn't reverse." -- Alden Spiess