Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

[Followups set to debian-cd]

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:32:29AM +0100, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> >It would also be useful for me who runs the main cd torrent seeder in
> >that I could just have an up-to-date debian archive and snapshot (minor
> >rsync update), instead of syncing 300+ gigs of data before all the seeds
> >are started up.

Are you concerned about increased seek times, Matthias? IIRC people like
Attila Nagy mentioned from time to time that jigdo thrashed their disks a
bit more than regular .iso downloads.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:20:12AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> I've written code for jigdoofus (exactly the FUSE-based idea that aj
> suggested) already, but it needs some more work yet. My eventual hope was
> that it might allow lots of our normal archive mirrors to become CD ISO
> mirrors or torrent seeders. But I got distracted from it quite a while
> back...

IIRC jigdoofus uncompressed the data on the fly, which made it a bit slow,
right?

What's the right solution to cache the data from the .template file? Write
the pieces to disk uncompressed? Re-compress them with something like LZO?

Hmm, a FastCGI solution would also be possible for serving the files via
HTTP (but not BitTorrent). I'm tempted...

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯