jigdo in SoC [Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?]

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 01:39:40PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> AJ wrote:
> >Is it possible to do a javascript implementation of jigdo, so we could
> >reasonably just publish a list of the files that need to go on most of
> >the CDs instead of the entire iso images? If you can download an image
> >via jigdo just by clicking in your browser, that'd seem like we could
> >rely on jigdo much more heavily than we have.
>
> Ooh, now that's a cute idea. :-) I'll add that as a SoC suggested project
> right now.

Unfortunately, you cannot implement jigdo with JavaScript that is running
inside a web page. It *would* be possible with a Firefox extension, I
think. Alternatively, you either need a specially signed Java applet (which
still won't run out of the box in MSIE), a server-side solution (which
assembles the images on the fly while serving them) or a regular desktop
application.

The latter solution is actually 80% done - I just got stuck somewhere and
never managed to pick up again. These days, I don't really have the time to
continue. :-/

I've also been thinking about reviving jigdo development in the Google SoC.
I'll help in any way I can...

Re: "What CDs/DVDs?" I agree with many others here: Produce images (and
.jigdos) for all images, but only mirror a limited subset via HTTP/FTP.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯