A solution of how to enable kernel 2.6.12 and ATI fglrx

I know that it is wrong to send such a messages to CDs
debian list, but maybe it could help someone. I found many
people asks about fglrx 'fglrx: Unknown symbol
inter_module_get', but no asnwer. It looks like I solved
it in someway, so here the answer.

I'm using debian sarge 3.1r0a, but this should work for
others too.

I choosed kernel 2.6.12.2 at last, because it works the
best with abm-acpi (using native kernel suspend like
/sys/power/state ) and supports some other futures as is
(from the box).

There are two special things that I had to do with this
kernel:

1) I got error

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c:7136:
error: structure has no member named `slot_name'

and then error (while loading fglrx module; see dmesg)

fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI
Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
fglrx: Unknown symbol inter_module_get

 - to solve this I removed slot_name in
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c and
changed inter_module_get(zzz) to
inter_module_get_request(zzz, "") in
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c.

Also you'll have to put Option "no_dri" "yes" to
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to make it works in kernel 2.6.12.2
(other case it frozes with blank screen on kde startup).

-- all this is related to ATI radeon like 9000 or ATI
radeon 9500 installation ( see
http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atilinuxhowto/Linux_ATI.html
and more of my comments at
http://www.larkin.chuhloma.ru/athlon_history/athlonXP3100.html
).

It works the best for me (kernel 2.6.12   ATI fgrlx
without dri). Without fglrx properly installed sometimes
XWindows still works Ok (like you rebuild kernell, but
doesn't rebuild fglrx, and XWindows still works), but on
logout/login operation it could bring you to text
login-screen (shell) instead of kde-login, because of
fglrx errors.

2) This one repairs captive-ntfs (by the way, native
kernel ntfs like
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/ doesn't work
for me - it opens the root folder of ntfs disk as 'ls' Ok,
but cannot do anything else like open it as 'ls -l' or 'cd
dirname' or 'cat filename'; so I had to use captive-ntfs
that works Ok - see
http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
andhttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=10175 for more
details; also get this one for debian if you like
http://www.kruyt.org/debian/captive-static-1.1.5-1.deb )

So this one ( see
http://www.jankratochvil.net/pipermail/captive-list/2004-December/000645.html
) repairs captive in kernel 2.6.12.2:

================== snip
diff -Naur kernel/signal.c.orig kernel/signal.c
--- kernel/signal.c.orig        2004-12-28
13:23:06.000000000  0100
    kernel/signal.c     2004-12-28 13:24:59.000000000  0100
@@ -1939,6  1939,7 @@
 EXPORT_SYMBOL(sigprocmask);
 EXPORT_SYMBOL(block_all_signals);
 EXPORT_SYMBOL(unblock_all_signals);
 EXPORT_SYMBOL(kill_proc_info);  /* hcz */

 /*
================== snip

Captive works the best for me and it is simple to setup it.

3) There are some special things related to CD-burning too
(like using ide-cd instead of scsi-emulation). See
http://www.larkin.chuhloma.ru/athlon_history/athlonXP3100.html

4) Also there are some problems with XKB ( EN is broken
for multy-language configurations in debian sarge, so you
have to use US instead) - see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2005/06/msg00256.html

Alexander.
avlarkin@iname.ru